A socialist feminist conference hosted by women in Workers’ Liberty
A socialist feminist conference hosted by women in Workers’ Liberty – everyone welcome
@ University College London, Cruciform Building, Gower Street, WC1E 6BT (the red building opposite the main quad)
Women have never enjoyed equality – in pay, politics or society. Now, to pay for capitalism’s crisis, we have been pushed back further, suffering disproportionately from cuts to jobs, health and welfare, and the growing strength of the reactionary right.
But women are fighting. From migrant workers getting organised in Britain to sisters building a women’s movement to fight sexual violence in India; from women in intense class struggle in Greece to workers and community activists fighting to save public services in Britain. Around the world women are building on our rage to fight back with ideas, courage and creativity.
Women in Workers’ Liberty are organising this conference to celebrate and learn from women’s struggles in Britain and around the world, and consider how socialist feminist ideas can make a difference.
£10 waged, £6 low-waged and uni students, £4 unwaged and school students. Book now on eventbrite. Ticket costs go towards speaker costs, materials and providing a free creche.
Free creche and accommodation (get in touch to book).
SESSIONS AND WORKSHOPS INCLUDE:
• Low pay? Union Busting? Zero Hours? Women Workers Fightback! with Charlotte Monro (sacked for trade union activities by Bart’s Trust), Becky Crocker (Chair of RMT Women’s Advisory Committee) and other
• Community Fightback: Living Wage and housing campaigns with E15 Focus Campaign, Sisters Uncut and Ruth Cashman (Lambeth Unison)
• Here to Stay! Here to Fight! Defend Migrant Rights!
• Women Against Fundamentalisms
with Dr Sukhwant Dhaliwal (Women Against Fundamentalism); Gona Saed (Kurdish and Middle Eastern Women’s Organisation) and Yemisi Ilesanmi (Nigerian socialist feminist, LGBTQ activist and blogger)
• Feminism and Queer Politics in India with Dr Camilla Bassi
•When Women fought back and Won: From the Matchwomen to the Great Unrest with Dr Laura Schwartz and Jill Mountford
• Women Against Debt and Austerity: the women’s movement and the rise of the left in Greece
• What Sort of Feminists are We?
with author and trade union activist Janine Booth
We welcome people of all genders and none to join us for discussion and debate. Visit our website or socialist feminist blog Women’s Fightback for more discussion of our ideas on fighting for women’s liberation and socialism. Workers’ Liberty want an anti-capitalist feminist movement, geared to class struggle, and a labour movement and left transformed to finally take women’s struggles seriously.